How To Import STEP File Fusion 360 2023? [Steps To Edit STEP/STP Files]
STEP (Standard for the Exchange of Product model data) files with an organized 3D CAD model format. In this guide, you will get to know how to import STEP file Fusion 360 2023 with some easy steps.
In Fusion 360, STEP files are imported into design workspace as components. These files contain information on 3D models such as shapes, structure, and dimensions. When it comes to importing a STEP file in Fusion 360 it will become a separate component so you can modify, position, or incorporate full designs.
What Is A STEP File In Fusion 360?
A STEP file is a file format that is very common for 3D Modelling and 3D printing. There are many names included in the exchange of product data such as:
- STEP File
- ISO 10303
These files have the complete body of 3D models created in other CAD and CAM programs. Most of the STEP files are saved as .stp files extensions and some as .STEP extension. These files carry plain text data that is used to load a 3D model by CAD or CAM tools.
To edit these STEP/STP files you have to purchase their subscription for that you can use Fusion 360 coupon code and save up to 60%. Now we will know how do I import a STEP file into Fusion 360.
How To Import STEP File Fusion 360?
Here are the simple steps by which you can easily import a STEP file in Fusion 360.
- Open and sign in to Autodesk Fusion 360.
- You can create a new design or open your existing design.
- At the top of Fusion 360 window, you will get a dropdown menu click on “Insert” button.
- Then from the dropdown menu, first select “Insert CAD” and then “Insert STEP”.
- A file dialog box will appear, navigate the location where your STEP file is stored.
- Select the location and click on “Open” button.
- Import .stp file Fusion 360 will be displayed in the workspace.
- Now you can start working with the imported model. You can add features, modify them, and do any other things you want to.
However, it’s a time taking process to convert or import Fusion 360 STEP files. If you follow the above-mentioned steps for easy Fusion 360 import file types.
How Do I Open A .STEP File In Fusion 360?
You have to follow some easy steps to open a .STEP file Fusion 360. Here are these steps:
- Open Fusion 360 and sign in to your account.
- Click on “File” drop-down menu at the top of toolbar in Fusion 360 window.
- Now select “New Design” to create a new design workspace.
- In the new design go to the toolbar and choose “Insert STEP”.
- Choose “Insert CAD”.
- Navigate the location where .STEP file will be located and select it.
- Click on “Open” to import STEP file Fusion 360.
- Then the .STEP model will appear which help you to edit and manipulate it.
By following these steps you can easily open a .STEP file and do changes to it.
How Do I Convert STEPS To STL Fusion 360?
You can not only import STEP file Fusion 360 but also convert them to .stl extenstion. To convert STEPS format to STL you have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Follow the same step open Fusion 360 on your device.
- Open your project and click on “Insert” tab in the toolbar.
- Select “Insert Mesh” option from dropdown menu.
- Go to the browser locate and select STEPS file which you want to convert.
- When you select the file, Fusion 360 will automatically convert file to a mesh model.
- After the conversion process gets completed, the mesh model will be inserted in design workspace.
- Choose “Mesh to BRep” option by clicking right on mesh model in design browser or graphics browser.
- Now you will get a solid body representation of STEPS file in Fusion 360. If you want to export this as STL file do right-click on solid body in design browser or graphics window and choose “Save as STL”.
- After all, select a file location or name for STL file and click on “Save” button.
That’s how you can easily convert a STEPS file to STL in Fusion 360. It also exports solid body as STL files that you can use for 3D printing or other apps that require this format. But before that, you have to import STEP file Fusion 360 and then you’ll be able to convert STEPS file to STL Fusion 360.
Other Related Fusion 360 Articles:
- How to change units in Fusion 360?
- Fusion 360 advantages and disadvantages
- Fusion 360 system requirements
- Fusion 360 for dummies
Can Autodesk Fusion Read STEP Files?
Yes, Fusion 360 reads and saves STEP files as an entire 3D model body with a high precision level. These files also allow you to share and open accurate files.
Can You Edit STEP Files In Fusion 360?
Yes, you can edit, open, view, or import STEP file Fusion 360. Not only this, but you can also convert STEP files to STL format to export them easily.