Both VPN and proxy allow you to browse the internet anonymously and access the content that is disallowed in your region. However, the way they work is so different. So, we help you to identify and understand what is the difference between VPN and Proxy, and which one is more reliable for you. So don’t worry about your privacy, hackers, and gov.t when searching the restricted information because with the help of VPN and Proxy no one can track what sites you visit, your downloaded files, and clicked links.
What is a Proxy?
Commonly when you browse the internet, your system connects to a website directly and starts downloading the information and pages for you to read. This procedure is direct and so simple.
When you use a proxy server, it acts as relays between your system and the website you are visiting. Your computer transfers all the web traffic to the proxy then it transfers the request to the pointed website, and avail you the data and relevant information after downloading it by own. Basically, your traffic passes through a middle-man.
The Proxy server hides your original IP address and provides its IP address to the website on behalf of yours. Mainly there are three types of proxy servers:
- HTTP Proxies: If you set your browser with an HTTP proxy server then it allows you to access Geo-restricted content. For instance, maybe an online TV show banned in your region so, with the use of proxy you can log into the site hosting the show without showing the fact that your original IP address is prohibited from watching it.
- Socks5 Proxies: These proxies are not only limited to websites. You can use socks5 to access services like file sharing sites, video streaming, and online games. But connecting an app through a socks5 proxy makes it slower because free proxies can have fewer configuration options and slower infrastructure.
- Transparent Proxies: These proxies are not much popular among users because peoples are unaware of their existence. These proxies can be used by parents or employers who want to monitor user activity and block their access to some websites. Restaurants and cafes use them to authenticate users on public WIFI.
What is a VPN?
A VPN is quite similar to a proxy, it also hides your original IP address and routes your traffic through a remote server so the website cannot able to see your original location and IP address. It works on the operating system level, which means that it redirects all your traffic, whether it is coming from background apps or your browser.
Unlike a proxy server that works as a middle-man server for a single application, VPN captures the traffic of every single application on your system. But here is the little advantage of using a VPN that, all traffic is encrypted. It means hackers cannot cut–off data between your VPN and system server.
As long as VPN connects to your system, all the traffic on the device goes through this connection. This means that when you are on a trip, you can be staying productive without worrying about who might be watching. Its increased security makes this the better choice for those who use the public networks to access data.
The main differences between VPN and proxy
- Where proxy server drops frequently, a VPN connection is more reliable.
- Many Proxy servers are free while VPNs are usually paid.
- Proxy servers are faster than VPN connections as they encrypt your data.
- Proxies work on the application level and reroute specific app or browser traffic while VPN reroutes all the traffic and work on the operating system level.
- Proxy servers don’t encrypt your data while VPN does.
Can I use VPN and Proxy together?
You can use both VPN and a proxy server at the same time but this can take some time and work to configure. We advise against it because, without any benefit, the proxy adds another middle-man that slows down your connection. It’s better to switch one of them when using another.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Proxy server
- Access Geo-blocked services
- Helps get around web restrictions
- Shield your IP address
- Do not encrypt your traffic
- Speed of connection can suffer from more traffic from other users.
- Free is always not good, the proxy server host can see your all activities.
- You are unsafe from malware and viruses with an unsecured host
Advantages and Disadvantages of VPN
- You can use public WIFI securely
- Access regional lock data
- Encrypt your data
- Hide IP address
- Increased latency on your connection going through a VPN
- Security is only reliable when you are using VPN
- You may have to pay some amount for good services
Which one is right for me? VPN or Proxy
A Proxy and VPN are similar because both hide your original IP address and reroute your traffic through a remote server. However, a VPN connection is much better than a proxy server in many respects. If you want a secure and fearless connection then you should choose a VPN without any doubt.