What Is Web Hosting? – Meaning, Types, & Cost
Web Hosting in simple is a combination of software and hardware which is connected to the world wide web through an intent line. It helps to run the website, application, or file sharing within a controlled environment.
Above is our simple way to describe web hosting you need to store your website or application on hardware that is connected to the world wide web and runs different software which gives you output as per your coding.
What Does Web Hosts Mean?
A web host is an organization or company which gives memory space and services on lease on its server. This process is done in a data center that provides services to the client to publish a website on the internet. Apart from these, the web host provides data center space and internet connections for the website. Hence, such services provided by the web host are called web hosting.
How Much Does Website Hosting Cost?
Maybe, this will be more difficult to calculate a particular price for website hosting. Generally, it depends on various terms.
- Hosting Provider
- Hosting service type you choose
- Plan you choose
Like other products or services, for a better host, plan, and service you have to spend more. Hence the cost of a web hosting service can be different for different users accordingly to their needs.
Types Of Web Hosting
There are mainly 6 types of web hosting offered to users which are:
- Shared Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- VPS Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
Now let’s explore these hosting types briefly to know more about them:
- Shared Hosting: This is the basic type of web hosting that is offered by almost every best web hosting provider. In shared hosting, multiple sites are hosted on a single server which makes it inexpensive. That is why many beginners prefer shared hosting for their websites. However, there are some threats too related to it like you might face security issues with this type of hosting. Also, you might have to compromise the performance of your site as multiple users are using the resources of a single server.
- Dedicated Hosting: The next type of Hosting is Dedicated server hosting. As the name suggests, your site will be hosted on a dedicated server and you don’t have to share resources with someone else. Also, you don’t have to compromise with security or performance and can install any type of firewalls as you want. However, to enjoy all these privileges, you have to pay far more than what you pay on shared servers. Though, there are some new brands coming into the market promising to offer dedicated servers at cheap rates.
- VPS Hosting: VPS can simply be stated as the hybrid of both dedicated and shared hosting. In it, a server is modified into multiple mini servers having dedicated space with the help of virtualization. This helps a user to tackle the issues that he might face with shared servers. Also, he has to pay quite less as compared to owning a dedicated server.
- Cloud Hosting: This is an advanced type of hosting in which multiple servers are used to keep a single website or a set of websites live. Cloud hosting is used by big organizations having multiple visitors from several countries.
- Reseller Hosting: As the name suggests, this hosting lets you resell hosting services to other users. You can act as an intermediated body that will help you to earn well. Also, you can establish yourself as a hosting brand without making a single investment in hosting hardware or software.
- WordPress Hosting: This hosting is quite similar to shared hosting. The only difference is that only the sites having WordPress as their CMS will be hosted on a server. WordPress hosting will help to optimize the servers according to the needs of WordPress.
These are the various types of web hosting services that are currently offered in the market. You should consider all of them to select the perfect hosting.
If you are confused about choosing a hosting provider then you should check how to choose a web hosting provider.
Should You Make Your Own Web Hosting?
No, you should not think of this if want to waste your money. There are many things involved in creating your own web hosting like:
- You need to buy or rent a hardware
- You need to get software
- You need to learn software solution need for Web Hosting
- You need a space with the cooled environment
- You need a 24 hrs electric connection or power back
- You will need a high-speed lease line
For managing a single website you need to make a lot of investments starting, and that’s not the end. You will be billed heavily for monthly bills. So we will suggest you take up the service of web hosting companies which will be much cheaper and easy for you to manage without any tension.