NordVPN and ProtonVPN are both top-rated and well-known VPN providers in the VPN community. In this Proton vs NordVPN comparison, we will discuss which VPN is better by head-to-head comparison in pricing, speed, features, customer support, privacy, pros & cons, and many more.
ProtonVPN Vs NordVPN: Overview
Also, Read Why VPN is Important?
Similarities & Differences Between ProtonVPN and NordVPN
ProtonVPN vs NordVPN – Similarities
Here are the similar features ProtonVPN and NordVPN have common in them. You can select any one of them as per your requirements and needs.
- Kill Switch: Both VPNs offer the kill switch feature. A kill switch is an excellent fail-safe network lock feature for the awful events that a VPN link fails. If our VPN crashed, all our site traffic will be closed by the kill switch, so we do not risk exposure, even if only for a short period of time.
- Encryption: Both ProtonVPN and NordVPN come with 256-bit encryption which is the most common method for strong encryption and has high standards.
- Away from Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes Jurisdictions: ProtonVPN has headquarters in Switzerland and NordVPN in Romania. Therefore, both the countries are located outside of Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes jurisdiction. This means that they will never be compelled to hand over our data to someone, except for the government. Sometimes we’re confused that we’re always being monitored, particularly by GPS on our phones, so it’s necessary to cover their bases here for both services.
- Access to Torrent: Both VPNs are allowed to share files via P2P (peer-to-peer) or torrenting.
ProtonVPN vs NordVPN: Key Differences
Though, both VPN has great similarities but despite them, they do have many differences in their features and security aspects. Let us know how these VPNs differ from each other.
- Split Tunneling: While tunneling, we are connecting to the public or private networks at the same time. But unfortunately, NordVPN does not offer a split tunneling option whether ProtonVPN allows us to do so.
- IP Address: NordVPN makes use of IP addresses that are shared but static. With NordVPN, it is possible to get a dedicated IP address, but it would cost us an additional $70 per year. ProtonVPN, however, provides dynamic IP addresses, meaning that each time you signed into the VPN service, your address will be switched.
- Number Of Servers: NordVPN has a huge advantage in terms of connectivity as they have five times the number of servers as compared to ProtonVPN.
- Netflix Streaming: This is an on-demand feature that most of the time users search for any VPN services. NordVPN streams high-quality content with minimal issues, but ProtonVPN lowers the speed which leads to occasionally buffering and blurry images. If you are investing in a VPN for Netflix, NordVPN is superior to ProtonVPN.
- Gaming: Okay, so gaming is certainly not possible with ProtonVPN but NordVPN can maintain your internet speed without any buffering.
- Customer Support: In ProtonVPN you have to submit a ticket regarding your query, and then you get an answer for the same. NordVPN has 24/7 customer support as a live chat option is available and provides very fast service.
Summing all the differences and similarities between NordVPN vs ProtonVPN in the table given below:
|IP Address||Dynamic IP Address||Shared IP Address. But can get a Dedicated IP Address with extra additional cost|
|Total Number of servers & Countries||1,060 Servers|
|Netflix Streaming||Yes. Only for Plus plan subscription to access international libraries.||Yes|
|Encryption||AES-256; RSA-2048 key exchange; HMAC with SHA-256 authentication||256-Bit AES (double encryption)|
|Protocol||OpenVPN, IKEV2||OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec|
|Under Five Eye, Nine Eye, and 14 Eyes surveillance jurisdiction||No||No|
|Notable Feature||Build-On Tor Support||Double VPN- VPN Cascading|
You can also check: 9 Best VPN Features
NordVPN VS ProtonVPN Subscription Options
This is a quite complicated area to understand. NordVPN offers 4 options on its subscription plans from 1 month to 3 years.
On the other hand, ProtonVPN plans differ in their features. In the table below, we have shown the different subscription options for both VPNs.
|Period||1 Month||1 Year||2 Year|
|Cost per month||$11.95||$4.92||$3.29|
|Number of Countries||62||62||62|
|Access international Netflix content||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Save Upto 80% Off Using NordVPN Deals
You can save a huge amount while purchasing a NordVPN subscription to any plan. Here you have a great opportunity to grab these discounted deals over VPN subscription plans and save up to 80% off.
|Subscription length||n/a||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year|
|Cost per month||$0||$4||$8||$24|
|Number of Countries||3||50||50||50|
|Access international Netflix content||No||No||Yes||Yes|
Save Upto 20% Off Using ProtonVPN Deals
ProtonVPN also offers discount deals to save up to 20% off on their subscription plans. Being an affiliate partner we are offering the latest and updated voucher codes and ProtonVPN Coupon Codes for our users to save huge amounts while making purchase VPN.
ProtonVPN Recommended If You…
- Concern About Your IP Address: ProtonVPN has the great advantage of offering a dynamic IP address that changes each time when you use the service.
- Wants To Use Split Tunneling: You would definitely like to use both private as well as public internet simultaneously. Thus, NordVPN does not offer the same.
- Satisfy with basic VPN: If you are looking for a very affordable or basic VPN just to protect your phone or work PC as their basic plan allows you to connect with two devices.
Also Check: ProtonVPN Coupon Code 2023
NordVPN Is A Better Option If You
- Wants To Connect Globally: NordVPN has more servers compared to ProtonVPN, with over 5000 servers across 60 countries. So, install NordVPN and enjoy the best available speed.
- Access Netflix Internationally At A Low Price: You can easily access international content on Netflix using NordVPN with your subscription.
- Want Excellent Customer Support: NordVPN has amazing 24/7 customer support through live chats if you have any query and wants a quick answer.
Also Check: NordVPN Coupon Code 2023
Conclusion – NordVPN VS ProtonVPN
Finally, we are ending with a conclusion through a detailed ProtonVPN vs NordVPN comparison. Both the VPN comes with a no-log policy, advanced security, AES 256-bit encryption, and other features like streaming, P2P support, inbuild Tor, double hop, and so on. You are free to choose anyone the VPN service for your use by considering the features that fulfill your requirements.
NordVPN is good for those users who want to interact globally with a various number of servers as well as countries. And also access Netflix in other locations without paying for more plus plans.
On the other hand, ProtonVPN has the advantage of split tunneling which NordVPN does not offer. This is also one of the reasons that users choose ProtonVPN. It also offers a cheap subscription plan with some basic security features.
Have a quick glance at the summary of this NordVPN vs ProtonVPN comparison:
|Based In||Switzerland||Panama, Romania|
|Speed||108 Mbps||373 Mbps|
|Supporting Device||Windows, Mac, Android, Ios, Linux||Android, Ios, Windows, Mac, Linux|
|Key Features||AES-256 Bit Encryption, Tor Over VPN, Kill-Switch, DNS Leak Protection, Split Tunneling.||Ipv6 Leak Protection, Custom DNS, Dedicated IP, Onion Over VPN, Custom DNS|
|Streaming||Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, BBC Iplayer, HBO, Hulu.||Netflix, Andriod, & Routers|
|Max Devices||Support Up To 10 Devices||Support Up To 6 Devices|
|Customer Support||Email And Reddit||FAQs: Self-Service, Email, 24/7 Chat, Chatbot|
Quick Read: Is $1 VPN Service Real?
FAQs: ProtonVPN vs NordVPN 2023
Some top queries related comparison of ProtonVPN and NordVPN for which most users look for:
What is the best VPN for online security?
ProtonVPN is based in Switzerland having 560+ servers in 40+ countries and away from fourteen eyes jurisdiction. Also comes with a no-log policy and strong encryption with the advanced protocol.
What is the best VPN provider?
Both NordVPN and ProtonVPN have some similar features as discussed in the article. NordVPN has a huge network compared to ProtonVPN but on the other hand, ProtonVPN offers a split tunneling option which NordVPN doesn’t. So it depends on your requirements and needs.
What are the best VPN service providers for Netflix?
Both VPN offers Netflix streaming but differ in speeds and buffering. Here NordVPN is one step ahead of ProtonVPN. They slightly differ in speeds and access to international content.
What is the best VPN for online security?
What is the best VPN for China?
NordVPN allows to access this VPN service in China as well with high-security protocol and privacy. ProtonVPN does not allow the same service.
Must Read: Best Rated VPN 2023
Can Check another VPN comparison with NordVPN